Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Return

I wasn't even at camp a week. Monday through Saturday. Six days I was gone. But good golly am I tired. I've lots of stuff to post on, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'm so badly in need of a shower. But Christ was good to us this week, protecting us from the heat, and we saw Him work in powerful ways.

On a different note, I'll answer the questions you raised in your massive comment (man, you sure can write) in the coming days, Ryan. But I'm hesitant to discuss the eucharist on here with you because it is a very powerful, divisive issue.

You know I'm not Catholic, so you know I won't see eye to eye with the Catholic Church on this issue. But I've studied the issue long, and spent many nights reading debates on this issue between people whose qualifications far outweigh mine in speaking intelligibly on the subject. I won't subject you to my criticism without your permission. I do this because I would not risk offending haphazardly. I won't shy from the truth with you nor anyone, but neither shall I brandish it like a weapon.

Update
From the looks of this post, Mr. Herr (if I were a German teacher, I'd be having a fit over that one) is out of town, doing nearly the same thing I was last week. I guess most of this issue will be put on hold until his return.

1 comment:

Ryan Herr said...

Hi Hal, I'm back from camp. I certainly do give you permission to respond publicly to my comments about the eucharist. I am generally (although not always) thick-skinned in theological discussions. And, I think it really helps that we've met each other in "real life" and can trust each other's God-given intelligence and good intentions to pursue the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

I'm particularly interested in the personal affective response of Protestants, in particular you personally, to Catholic belief in Christ's real presence in the Eucharist. What I mean is, if Protestants were to suspend disbelief for a moment and ty to imagine that what Catholics believe about the Eucharist is true, what would Protestants be personally feeling and thinking about it? (I feel like I am explaining myself clumsily, yet I'm not sure how to say it better.)

I wonder, are there Protestants out there who don't believe as Catholics do in the Eucharist, but yet long for the Eucharist or something like it?

Or, do most Protestants believe that even if Christ was really present in the Eucharist, that this wouldn't make any difference in their lives?

Or, do some Protestants not only reject Catholic teaching about the Eucharist but also hypothesize that it would be not good and/or not possible for God to manifest His presence in the world in such a way?

I imagine that there'd be a range of responses. I acknowledge that you can really only answer for yourself, or maybe for a few others if the topic has come up for you in conversations or reading.

I also acknowledge that my questions are getting more into the hypothetical than the actual, more into the subjective than the objective. I acknowledge that the actual objective truth is what's most important here. But still, I'm interested in your personal feelings and thoughts and those of other Protestants. And, such a course for our discussion may (or may not) bear more fruit for us than a purely apologetic direction. (Although, I'm not opposed to apologetics by any means.)

Thanks for taking the time and providing the forum to discuss our faiths. I'm looking forward to be challenged by your response. I may not be able to respond myself again for a few days - I've procrastinated with some of the mundane obligations of the "real world."