Sunday, April 02, 2006

LATE Night Ramblings

If you checked out the timestamp on this post, it's not an error. I actually am posting at 2AM. Best part is, I'm in the middle of an experiment in the lab. Good times, eh? I just felt like writing a whiny post about it because, hey, I'm going to be here for at least another 2 hours. Daylight savings time does not make this any easier.

I'm especially whiny about this ridiculously late work night because I've been working ridiculous hours all week. Why is a 12 hour day just accepted so easily around here? The very concept ticks me off to no end, but nearly everyone I've mentioned this to just shrugs it off and says, "Eh. That's what grad school is about." You'll have to excuse me if I'm upset that earning my degree will require whoring out my soul.

The funny part about this, to me at least, is that I've worked such riduclous hours this week (many 12 hour days) that on Friday, when I actually didn't come in (since I knew I'd be working these hours tonight), people started panicking. "Where's Hal? Where could he have gone? We haven't seen him. I hope he's okay." Hilariously, one of my labmates became the voice of reason, saying, "He's been gone five hours. I wouldn't worry about it." Apparently if a person takes a day off (weekends are workdays around here), it is a crisis.

Yeah, this personal and whiny, but I started working at 7AM after 4 hours of sleep, and I'm slated to be here quite a while yet. I don't think a little whining is out of place here.

Clarification
Incidentally, I actually have wanted to write about subjects of real substance this week. But with the ridiculous hours, I've done as much sleeping and life maintenance things as I can. Life maintenance meaning cooking, cleaning, calling my girlfriend, etc. If my schedule ever becomes reasonable (at least, reasonable for grad school), I'll post something worthwhile.

Clarification II
This has nothing to do with anything, but I thought I would just let everyone know that I had a triple espresso at midnight, so I'm feeling pretty good. Well, more or less. Actually, it's starting to wear off a little. I think. I dunno, I keep seeing things. Hm . . . maybe all that caffeine wasn't such a good idea. Of course, it could just be the creepiness of the building at 4AM.

Um . . . what was I writing about again?

No comments: