Thursday, June 26, 2008

Labels

Sometimes I despise post-modern America, where labels mean whatever you want them to mean. Oh sure, that's not universally true. I could call myself a lesbian, but most people would just look at me like I was a certified whacko. Still, there are areas where this seems to flourish, and it drives me batty.

Here's what I'm getting at: The Pew Forum recently released the data for the second part of their Religious Landscape survey in America. One of the most disturbing aspects, at least to me, involves self-identified Evangelical Christians. When asked whether their religion was the only way to heaven (a central dogma in Christianity), 57% said no. Fifty-seven percent! That means that at least half, if not more, of all self-identifying Evangelical Christians don't even understand what it means to be Christian! Is it any wonder that American Christianity sees such decline?

Of course, such silliness is not limited to Christians, either. Apparently 5% of atheists believe in God. Seriously? This word you keep using, "atheist" . . . I don't think it means what you think it means.

1 comment:

mrflippy said...

One of the things that bothers me about the survey is that the term "religion" is ambiguous. (people interpret it differently) I could say that my religion is not the only way to heaven because King David from the bible was pretty obviously not an evangelical Christian (or whatever).

Now, I'm guessing that most of this 57% were probably not thinking along the same lines as me though...