Tuesday, August 31, 2004

School? Yikes.

Campus Life


Okay, not really any political ramblings here (yet). I'm more interested in school things at the moment. It's really early on day 7 of classes so far. Yet, I have to wonder . . . why do I feel so overwhelmed already? I mean, I know I'm taking the hardest classes required by my major, yet why should I feel this way already? Am I simply freaking out over nothing? Is this all a bad omen for the semester to come? Will I be sane by the end of the year?

So, apparently, as I mull over my post-graduation plans, doing grad. school at ISU is a possibility. At least, a highly recommended possibility, though more opinions would be worth getting. I just wonder, though . . . do I want to stay at ISU? Are the relationships I've made here worth taking advantage of for grad. school? And what about outside of that? Do I want to maintain the community I have found myself in? Do I want to hold onto the friends I have made?

Speaking of friends, the people here never cease to amaze me. Yesterday was day 2 of having my . . . facial anomaly (if you know, you know, and if you don't, just take a look at me). The surprise for me was that nobody said a single word about it! Is this just because they were feeling polite and didn't want to bring it up, or is it because self-interest blinded their eyes? Several people asked me how my weekend was, and when I replied, "Long," I received responses of, "Oh, I'm sorry, anyways . . ." or "Me too! First I had to . . . " Yeesh. Not that I'm looking for a pity party here or anything, but I think I'm more bothered by people not asking than by their asking.

Okay, on to the news.

GOP Convention

Oh, how I wish I had a television. Alas. All I can do is surf the internet in search of people's thoughts on this thing. Oh well. It looks like the convention has been interesting so far. I'm glad to hear that the "moderate" republicans are remembering that they are, indeed, republicans.

Relics of Barbarism

An interesting parallel the authors draw here. While I see a valid connection, I wonder if anyone else disagrees with his assessment? If you do, care to explain why? (I'm taking an ethics class right now, I need the practice!)

Pressure Cooker Theory

Heh, okay, so normally I wouldn't post this, as I don't think it adds much to the current debate, but the last line was so funny I just couldn't resist. "What if Bush is reelected? If they lose to him again, Democrats will need more than just consolation. They'll need therapy."

Hypocrisy and the 527's

This has me more than a little miffed. What happened to free speech? John Kerry has relied so heavily on these PAC groups for months, and now one comes along that is actually going against him, and suddenly these groups are unconstitutional, evil, and must disappear? Actually, just the one: Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

To make matters worse, President Bush has called for all 527 groups to keep out of the race. While I understand this as a purely political move, I still find it inappropriate. John Kerry's behavior much worse; he would have everyone condemn SBVT as liars and criminals without offering anything to disprove them. And where is the slander lawsuit if they are such liars?

Something I read elsewhere (sorry, no link), though I haven't been able to verify it anywhere else, is that President Bush has entered a lawsuit with John McCain against SBVT to get them to pull their ads off the air. If this is true, I can only express my shame at the President. I thought this was America, land of free speech? Urgh. Not that I won't be voting for him, as I don't see this as a huge deal breaker and it is unconfirmed yet, but he still should not do so. The Vietnam quagmire Kerry has found himself in, thanks in large part to SBVT, has helped the President tremendously in the polls. And while the group has said that it is, contrary to what the Democrats say, notBush's cronies and therefore won't take their ads off the air just because he says so, Bush should be thanking them with everything he has!

Well, that's it for now. Watch the convention everybody!

Hal

No comments: