Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Post Election Thoughts

Well, the election has come and gone. My thoughts on things:

1) Illinois went to Kerry and Obama. Big surprise, eh? I figured as much. But, well, what can you do? Actually, I think next time around I will run for governor or senator. I certainly couldn't do any worse than what the Illinois GOP is bringing up lately.

Or maybe I should just move to Texas. We'll see. Are there any celebrities who need plane tickets to Canada?

2) John Kerry has conceded the election. This is good, although I've still got an inkling in the back of my mind that we're not out of the "quagmire election" danger zone yet. Al Gore conceded the election too, at first. Give it time, we'll see.

Funny story. I was walking through Atkin-Colby just before the concession speech, and CNN was on the TV. I love this. John Edwards was speaking. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but the caption/headline at the bottom of the screen said, "BREAKING NEWS. Edwards: John Kerry is a great American." Let that sink in for a second. John Edwards thinks John Kerry is a great American. CNN is calling that "breaking news." Heh, must be a slow day in the newsroom, eh? Maybe they need to get someone else to write the captions.

I've already heard the democrats and liberals grumbling about how America is going to go to Hell, and how we're doomed as a nation, and blah blah blah. Sore losers. Okay, maybe that's not fair. I'd have been a bit upset if Kerry had won. But, well, let's face it: if America had decided to elect one or the other, then they get what they deserve. Let's not forget that we're all adults here (at least those of us who can vote), and we are responsible for the decisions we make.

Although, I must say that I'm quite scared. Why? Well, I've seen some theorizing that a loss for Kerry was what the Democrats really wanted the entire time. That way, there would be smooth sailing for a Hillary Clinton ticket in 2008. It wouldn't surprise me if that plan starts fomenting soon. THAT scares me. I don't know who the GOP will get to run in '08, but for some reason, people like to elect Clintons to office. I hope never to see a Clinton in the Whitehouse again. Let's just hope the next four years don't bring that.

And, something humorous just to wrap things up. For those who don't know, I'm taking an applied ethics class this semester, and we're discussing racism and affirmative action. The section about it in our book has this little blurb: "Racial discrimination can take many forms, from racially motivated hate speech to the use of Asian mail-order bride services by middle-aged American men who blame their problems with women on feminism." Wait, what? That last part . . . what does that have to do with anything? Am I the only one who finds that weird?

Okay, enjoy the time, folks. Four more years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uumm..remember when i said that dick cheney was the scary uncle?? Scratch that. Hillary Clinton is DEFINITELY the scary uncle. --mel