Sunday, September 11, 2005

So Where Is It Going?

I don't get envrionmental science/scientists.

Apparently, there is worry that the Himalayan glaciers are melting due to global warming, leading to a shortage of drinking water in that region of Asia.

Maybe it's just me, but if the glaciers are melting, wouldn't that lead to more water? I mean, isn't that what we're always told? Melting glaciers leads to flooded coastlines? If the glaciers melting leads to less water, where is the water going?

They're attributing the current droughts in the region to global warming, but yet in the same article:
"Global climate change has had an effect, but water has also dried up because agriculture in the mountains has increased," he said.

I see. So, which is it? How can agriculture increase if the overall water supply is decreasing? I mean, I doubt that they were using 100% of the water before the increase, but still . . . decreasing supply would seem to prevent an increase in usage.

It's hard to criticize this article, because they don't include any actual scientific reference, so it's hard to determine whether or not any of the conclusions of the "experts" are justified. But I do note that they always refer to other "indicators" of global warming in these articles as justification of the trend, yet such things can always be explained by other factors.

Example? They mention Summer temperatures in Southeast Asia which can go up to 122ºF. Global warming? I thought Southeast Asia was always freakin' hot anyhow. Worth investigating weather patterns, I suppose.

So, yeah . . . I don't get it.

No comments: