Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Regarding Miers

Throughout this entire nomination of Harriet Miers, I've tried to stay neutral; I understand the complaints of the critics, but thoroughly hoped for people like Hugh Hewitt of Dafydd al Hugh to convince me.

However, after seeing this, I can no longer remain undecided. I can't support the Miers nomination.

Look, the biggest thing that conservatives want in a SCOTUS judge is that they will challenge judicial activism. But if we can't be certain that she'll do that, then is she worth the effort?

The evidence in question comes from speeches 10 years old and older. I'm willing to allow that her perspective has changed in that kind of time. As such, if she makes it to the Senate for questioning, I'll suspend judgement for her answers.

However, in the meantime, I can only look at such statements and think that Bush has made a mistake. I just hope it doesn't cost conservatives too much.

No comments: