Sunday, June 24, 2007

Return to Origin

Ah, vacation . . . what fun.

I'm back now, slightly more rested, although if you asked what I was resting from, I might be hard-pressed to give you a solid answer. Still, I'm back, and I'll have some photos to post. I saw some neat things while in Florida.

In the meantime, I wanted to share that I've been reading through Francis Collin's book, The Language of God. Collins was the leader of the Human Genome Project and wrote this book discussing the intersection of science and faith.

It's an interesting book, for sure. It's mainly written for the laymen, with a rather breezy style of philosophical argument that you find in most mass-consumption books on religion or philosophy these days. He borrows a lot from other authors to make his points, so the book almost acts more like a review than a new collection of ideas.

I'm about 2/3 through the book, and I've mixed feelings on it so far. Some parts of the book are well argued, or at least uses arguments I'm familiar with and consider them to be handled appropriately. On the other hand, there are some sections where I think he either misuses information in an argument or doesn't give certain arguments due consideration, especially in anticipating counter-arguments. Since I'm not finished with the book, I'll hold criticism of specific sections, since I can't say he won't revisit those ideas in more depth later on.

Still, if you're looking for a place to start in exploring these themes, this isn't a bad book. I'll give further assessment when I'm finished.

No comments: