Sunday, October 15, 2006

Adventures in Teaching: The Interweb

One of the interesting things about being a TA is that I'm a teacher, but my students are nearly the same age as I am. This has the potential to lead to interesting situations. If it weren't for the title, you might think this was a story about students trying to romantically entice their teacher. No, this is far more amusing.

You see, I tried searching some of my students out on Facebook. Facebook pages have privacy settings where you can allow only your friends to view your page, preventing the public at large from getting a glimpse. Some of my students did not think to do this. What I found on their pages was . . . interesting. Here are some relevant screen-captures (click for full size):









The names and faces were blurred out for their protection. The net is full of weirdos, after all.

Here's some helpful advice girls: Be careful what you put on the internet. You never know who might end up reading it, such as somebody who grades all of your papers.

And to the rest of you students out there: If you're going to slam your teachers on the internet, you'd better be absolutely certain your teachers will never see it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehehe. that's really funny. you should add said students as your friends and then leave comments on their walls :).

Anonymous said...

They want to CASTRATE YOU? That is so horrible! You can't be THAT bad...

Hal said...

Apparently when they don't get the material, my genetic material shouldn't be spread.

I thought you might appreciate that story.

Anonymous said...

I think you should say something about it in class. Just mention something casually, like, "Okay, well that's the lesson, and just to avoid my own castration I will be available from 3-5 to help you if you don't understand the material." And then see how mortified they get. Maybe you should wear a cup just in case.
PS--Cute cat.

Hal said...

Actually, I won't say a word. If I actively bring it up to them, knowing them, they will use it as an excuse to say that I graded them unfairly this semester.

I'd worry about posting this and them recognizing their own words, but given my readership, it'll never happen.

Also, why do you go anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Good point. I mean, not about your readership, but about them accusing you of grading unfairly. I have no idea why I go anonymous. How did you know it was me?

Hal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.