Tuesday, January 23, 2007

How about a playpen?

According to this article, there's a growing trend of "men's waiting areas" at malls. This is, supposedly, for men to sit and wait while their wives are off shopping.

Really? Has our gender become that sad?

First, let me say that it's a sad indicator of a relationship that you can't even spend an hour or two with your wife as she looks at clothing (vice versa, too). Even if she is being a Non-commital Nancy, suck it up and deal with it. Spending time together is part of a relationship/marriage.

However, in addition to that, why would you need a "waiting area?" If I were at the mall with a woman and she said, "I'm going to go off on my own, meet me at the food court in 2 hours," I think I could figure out how to amuse myself in the intervening period. What prevents you from having some sort of interest? Go look at clothing, movies, books, etc. Take your pick. Have a hobby.

It's just sickening how often these "men are helpless, hairy children" articles come out. What has happened to my gender?

No comments: