Tuesday, August 28, 2007

UMSL Student in Russia

I saw this on the local news a few nights ago, but they stated the student was a SLU student. I guess you can't win 'em all.

In any case, an UMSL student is being held in Russia on some rather strange charges. A Chilean national studying in the US, she was living in Russia for a year and bought some Soviet era medals as souvenirs, only to find out at customs on the way out that such was a crime. Since then, she's had a bit of a crazy ride on the way to charges actually being brought against her. Her trial is supposed to begin today.

Want to support her? I'm not entirely certain how. There's a couple of facebook groups/petitions, but I can't imagine what that will accomplish. I'd recommend calling the state department, or perhaps one of Missouri's senators, or even the governor, if you're feeling so inclined.

I'm wishing her the best outcome in this.

No comments: