Thursday, July 13, 2006

VG Detox

I don't have a problem. I can't quit anytime I wanSHUT UP! YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME! GOBACKUPSTAIRSMOMI'MALMOSTDONEWITHTHISLEVEL!

I'm sure it's nothing like that.

My own thoughts? Video games are certainly entertaining, and I do enjoy them in themselves as a hobby, but people with this level of escapism would find it in some other form. Some people get wrapped up in movies or television, even writing or reading. We just tend to look at reading as a healthy past-time and video games as not. "All things in moderation," I suppose.

My suspicion is that guys (and I do think most of their patients are male) with this kind of habit play this way as a substitute for human companionship, or a lack thereof. You can especially notice this trend with MMO games like Everquest or WoW. Why work hard going out into the world to make friends, where people will probably judge you either for your personality quirks or physical appearance, when you know there's an enormous community of people who already share your interests, can't judge your appearance, and will probably not notice your quirks? Make that community just a few clicks and $15/month away and you've set the stage for trouble.

What guys like this need is, well, reprogramming. They need to enjoy human interaction more than the gaming interface, and until that happens, I'm not sure any treatment will help them.

No comments: