Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Diversity at ISU

So, last week the Daily Vendetta printed an article about interracial student interactions on campus, and how polling indicates that it is becoming lower than ever. ISU, of course, attempts to alleviate these kinds of problems in standard PC way. When freshmen enter the university, they are bombarded by skits, seminars, meetings, and workshops about diversity, tolerance, and acceptance. Yet, I can't help but wonder if they're part of the problem.

Why would I wonder this, you might ask?

The other day I saw a group of prospective students touring around campus. This is not an unusual sight this time of year. What was unusual was that all of the students were black. Now,
I'm not sure how the university arranges visits. Maybe students have a choice of who they would like to tour with. I didn't have one. It can't be random coincidence, as it's not the first time I've seen it.

So then, is ISU fostering the social segregation we find at the university? The only conclusion I can reach is that, at the least, they're not helping.

No comments: