Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Dahr Jamail at Northwestern

So, my busy schedule unfortunately did not allow me to attend Dahr Jamail's lecture here at Northwestern.

According to this far too brief article, I didn't miss much. However . . .

On the one hand, I should give some of the things he says a bit more credence because he was IN Iraq. On the other hand, conservative journalists and soldier return from Iraq telling completely opposite stories from him. Does he have any incentive to lie or stretch the truth? Good question. I suppose it's worth noting that he does submit his writings to some rather odd publications, including The Nation and Islam Online.

Here's what I'm really curious about, though:
Audience members were able to offer their opinions and gain additional information during the question-and-answer period of the presentation. A North Chicago woman drew applause with her strong criticism of the mainstream media, while a comment from Chicago resident Jay Jackson defending U.S. actions brought angry responses from some audience members.

Man, now I really wish I had been there. Angry responses from audience members? I'm quite curious how that turned out.

If it's anything like certain liberal reactions to conservative freedom of speech I've seen before, it can't have been pretty.

No comments: