Monday, August 22, 2005

The Benefits of Technology

It's about time the world saw some freaking changes. Quick little anecdote:

Yesterday, I set up my cable connection for the new apartment with Comcast. Hoorah, they'll have a guy out there sometime between 8AM and 12PM on Monday.

But here's the interesting thing: I set this up entirely online. Now, you might think, "Oh, big deal Hal, I do lots of stuff online." But normally, this might require an exchange of emails, or some sort of phone call. Nope.

After I set up everything I wanted for the account and agreed to the pricing, the website entered me into a java chat room with a sales representative so that she could perform a credit check, confirm the information/date, and answer any other questions I may have had.

Talk about using technology to its fullest. It was a clever way to deal with the issue, and quite frankly I loved it. The chat allowed me to do other things while actively dialoguing with her.

I hope more companies follow the path Comcast chose on this one. If they do, I see a bright future for using the internet for consumer commercial purposes.

No comments: