Thursday, August 04, 2005

This Is My Body: Part II

For those just joining us, my friend from college, Ryan, has left me with many questions in a discussion about the Eucharist. I'm devoting a full post to each question so as to answer them appropriately. In this installment, I cover this question from Ryan:
I wonder, are there Protestants out there who don't believe as Catholics do in the Eucharist, but yet long for the Eucharist or something like it?

Interesting question. Do Protestants long for a Eucharist-like sacrament?

I must admit, the idea is appealing if you think about it in general terms. It would represent the epitome of the mystical experience. You're not just interacting with God in some nebulous, undefinable way . . . you are experiencing God in a physical, tangible way.

That would be a mighty aid to faith. It would be the proof that every doubting Thomas seeks. It could be a mighty pillar of the faith, the same way that the apostles and the others who saw the resurrected Jesus had. "It's not just faith that Christ resurrected. I saw him die! And then I saw him live! I touched his resurrected body!" It would be the same in that way; "I don't just have this vague notion of 'faith' . . . I physically interact with God!"

Such a thing does seem desirable . . . at first.

But we really have to ask, would such a thing be a pillar or a crutch? Think Hebrews 11:1 . . . faith is our evidence for those things that we cannot verify tangibly. Would we be dependent on it for verification of our faith? Would we violate the teachings of Jesus, requiring "signs" and "miracles" in order to keep our faith? Would we worship not God, but the experience of the physical interaction with Him? Would we make it a test of exclusion or holiness to our brethren?

Too many questions. Such an idea seems attractive at first, but I almost would say that the desire for such a thing is a product of a weak faith.

The real question in my mind is, how do Catholics really know they are physically interacting with the Lord? But that is a question for another post.

No comments: