Monday, August 01, 2016

RPG a Day - Day 1

I haven't done much writing lately, so an easy prompt for quick posts seems like a good solution towards jump-starting things. To that end, I'll post (as frequently as I remember) on the "RPG a Day" project.


The first question is on dice: Real, electronic, or diceless?

I've not played any diceless systems, although I've played a few games that came close. Still, for my money, real dice are the best way to handle things. My buddy Larry makes a great case for physical dice, as there's no substitute for the visceral pleasure of rolling dice.

To that, I'd add the variety of dice is so much better with real dice. You can't get the offbeat, quirky, bizarre dice with an electronic system that you can with normal dice, as most apps just give you numeric dice, and even then, mostly the standard d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20/d100.

For example, I have a set of Rory's Story Cubes. They're awesome, and I use them for story prompts or spontaneous/random events in my games. And yes, there's an app for these products, but it's a rare example of non-numeric dice that do have an electronic equivalent.

Dice apps have their place, but they just can't replace the real deal.

No comments: