Sunday, August 28, 2016

RPG a Day - Day 28

Today's topic: What is the thing you'd be most surprised a friend had not seen or read?

As this is an RPG topic, I'll assume these are properties that are at least vaguely RPG-related. To that end, I'm going to skip the obvious elephants in the room: Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. Yes, I'd be amazed if someone hadn't seen the movies or read Tolkien's books, but that's largely because these properties carry such huge cultural influence that you couldn't avoid them if you tried.

To this end, I'm thinking more outside the box. With that in mind:
Don't be too impressed. Every man is shaped like that in Timm's animated shows.
Super hero cartoons enjoyed a good deal of popularity during the 90s. Two of the most popular shows during that time were the Batman and Superman animated series.

Following on that success, Bruce Timm and Paul Dini followed their previous work with the series based on the iconic superhero team, running 2001 to 2004, followed by Justice League Unlimited through 2006.

It's understandable how someone might have missed the show. Older millennials like myself would have been college students when the show was on TV. Even then, it aired on Saturday nights in a time when DVRs weren't yet abundant, Netflix wasn't around, and Cartoon Network was recalcitrant on the matter of reruns. I only saw most of the series because my parents recorded it on VHS for me to watch when I went home to visit.

So why do I list it as the property I'd be surprised someone hadn't seen? Three reasons.
  1. It has been available on Netflix for quite some time.
  2. It was really good. 
  3. Few superhero cartoons that came afterwards were able to match the quality of these shows.
There's a lot of love to be had for shows like Young Justice or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Even so, few modern series were as widely celebrated, or influential on the genre, as the JL/JLU series. It's a series I'd recommend in a heart beat to someone interested in the genre.

No comments: