Sunday, August 07, 2016

RPG a Day - Day 7

The topic for today: What aspect of RPGs has had the biggest effect on you?

On a personal level, RPGs introduced me to some lifelong friends. It's an inherently social activity, so it's only natural that you find some camaraderie with your fellow players.

When I moved out to Baltimore back in 2008, I didn't know anybody, and I worried that I'd have a difficult time making friends. Graduate school tends to be rather time consuming, so it can be difficult to get a robust social network. 

Just before moving, through Fear the Boot's forums, I met Larry. I needed a gaming group. Larry's group had room for another player. It was a happy coincidence.

Through Larry, I met several other men who would become my closest friends for the duration of my time in Baltimore. It was with tremendous sorrow that I left them behind to move back to St. Louis.

Still, let it not be said that RPGs didn't have a positive effect in my life. 

No comments: