Friday, August 12, 2016

RPG a Day - Day 12

Today's topic: What game is your group most likely to play next?

Bleh. I don't really have a group at the moment, given that I moved away from my previous gaming group last year. I could go ahead and say, "D&D," because that's the most likely answer wherever my gaming feet land next. But I think I'll take the opportunity to answer more interesting questions instead, by delving into last year's RPG a Day topics.

The topic up for consideration: What forthcoming game are you most looking forward to?

If you couldn't guess from my previous posts, I'm very much looking forward to the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG. I was so excited about this game I developed my own system in Fate just to bide the time.

Unfortunately, it seems like I'll be waiting a while. The game was announced more than a year ago, and since then, it doesn't seem to have progressed in any way. No official announcements from Greater Than Games or Critical Hit Studios about the project. Supposedly they've been discussing it at major gaming conventions such as GenCon, but that's not really what I would call an official announcement, since the only things I can find out about that are what people have to say about it on forums. 

They're doing alpha-level previews at these conventions, but they were doing the same last year. The impression I get is that the GtG crew wants to finish work on Oblivaeon before getting to the RPG. That makes sense, but then one wonders what Critical Hit's role in this is if GtG has to be so intimately involved in the project.

I'm sure I'll be delighted with the final product, but here's hoping it shows up before 2018; given that the Sentinels of the Multiverse card game is finished, I'm worried that by the time the RPG is actually released, the interested audience will have dwindled.

No comments: